My formula for children success

E = mc2 (where, E = energy;  m = mass and c = speed of light) is the famous equation formulated

by Albert Einstein in 1905 to express the relationship between mass and energy. It looks so simple and yet it revolutionized the whole understanding of the universe. Coming back to earth, I will suggest another formula, as important for us as the previous one:

E = sp2 where, E=Education, s=School and p=Parenting

Overwhelming evidence from research suggests that when families get personally involved in education, their children do better in school and grow up to be successful in life. I would say that the role of the family in our children education is two folded; schools are offering a base structure  on which the children are exposed to knowledge but family involvement makes the big difference.

To educate our children, we have to become their role models, in other words, to teach by example not just by lecturing them. That is the reason why we have to be involved in as many educational activities as possible along with our children. This way they will see that we “mean business” when we talk about the importance of a good education and that we enjoy doing the  things we told them to do so many times.

By age 18, children have typically spent only 13% of their waking lives at school; families have a role in shaping the remaining 87% (Ref: Education Policy Studies Laboratory—School Reform Proposals: The Research Evidence). The family involvement can be defined as any supportive adult role model who is committed to the academic, social, emotional and physical development/empowerment of a child. By definition, “family” may include a parent,  grandparent, aunt/uncle, neighbor, or caregiver. Such an inclusive definition is necessary if we are to embrace all of the diverse family structures commonly serving as the support systems of children today.

Families are children’s first and most influential teachers, both by example and conversation. At home, families can instill such values as responsibility, hard work, and commitment to school success. Children have numerous teachers during their entire school career. No one teacher is responsible for a child from kindergarten through high school. Therefore, families are responsible for working with educators to help their children reach their greatest potential of life-long learning.

Back to HOME


Your Add Here:


Do you like this site?

Interested to sponsor it?

You can have your add in this space. Contact me through the FEEDBACK page if you are interested to support this site.